Raiganj University is one of the foremost universities in West Bengal. As per Raiganj University Act (West Bengal Act XXVI of 2014) the University was established on 3rd February 2015. It is located at the district headquarter of Uttar Dinajpur i.e. Raiganj in West Bengal, India. This University was established by upgrading a state aided under-graduate college namely ‘RAIGANJ COLLEGE [UNIVERSITY COLLEGE]’ into a University.
It is the first Unitary University in North Bengal which offers both under-graduate and post- graduate courses in its own Campus. In this University there are 22 departments at the undergraduate level, 23 Programmes are currently running in Post-graduate level and 17 departments offer Ph.D. & M.Phil. Courses running in full swing. This University also offers General Courses at the under-graduate level in its own campus in the morning and evening i.e. in two shifts.
The scope of Raiganj University has been widened with manifold research activities including M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes. Raiganj University intended to be Centre of Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Research.
This University is included in the 2(f) and 12 (b) clause of the UGC Act. 1956 which confers the right to the University to receive funds from the Govt. of India. The Campus sprawls over 13.62 acres of land, which contains Departments, Administrative Buildings, Canteen, Pond, Guest-house, Playground, a Garden of rare medicinal plants and a mulberry garden. This University received another land from the State Government measuring 11.19 acres at Raiganj, of just 3 km from the University.
The second Campus of the University will be started in a very short period of time. Several academic Centres of the University have been declared to be ‘Centres of Excellence’. These are the Centre for Folklore Studies, the Centre for Buddhist Studies, the Centre for Women’s Studies, the Environment Conservation Centre, the Business Incubation and Innovation Centre, the centre for Differently Abled Students.
Mission and Vision Mission
create a metamorphic educational experience for students focused on deep disciplinary knowledge; problem solving; leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills; and personal health and well-being. To cultivate a metamorphic university community committed to:
(i) attracting and retaining diverse, world-class talent; (ii) creating a collaborative environment open to the free exchange of ideas, where research, creativity, innovation can increase
(iii) ensuring individuals can achieve their full potential.
Raiganj University will have a metamorphic impact on society through various innovations and discover in education, research, creativity, and others.
SELECTION PROCESS FOR ADMISSION
1. Normally 60% seats will be for the students of the Raiganj University and 40% seats for other Open to all. This 60% and 40% may be relaxed in case of non- availability of the applicants in either category.
2. All the candidates passed the UG Hons. Course from the Raiganj University in the respective Course are eligible to apply for the self- financing courses. However, the students appeared in the Final Exam with back papers in Pass subject/s applying for the admission are required to submit the Passed Marksheet by 30th August, 2019, failing which will lead to the cancellation of the admission.
3. DIRECT ADMISSION: Direct admission will happen for the Programmes as under-
M.Sc. in Computer Science
M.Sc. in Statistics
M.Sc. in Computer and Information Sciences
MA in Sociology
LL.M. In such cases, no entrance test will be there while, the mode of section will be strictly on the basis of the marks obtained by the candidate at the UG level.
4. RESERVATION: RESERVATION: The reservation policies of West Bengal State Higher Education Institutions (reservation in Admission) Act, 2013 and West Bengal State Higher Education Institutions (reservation in Admission) Rules, 2014 will be followed in respect of admission of SC/ST/OBC-A&B and PWD.
i. Quota for SC/ ST will be considered as per Govt. order 906 Edn / Estt dated 18.09.1997. Number of seats (SC-22%, ST-6%, OBC-A-10%, OBC-B-7%) will be calculated and considered separately for 60% seats of RGU students and 40% seats for Open Competition. Fraction of 0.5% or more will be rounded to the next whole number.
ii. 3% of each category (Gen/SC/ST/OBC-A/OBC-B) will be reserved for Persons with Disability (PwD) candidates. Merit list will be prepared on the percentage of PwD. In case of non-availability of PwD candidate, the seat reserved for PwD will be converted to General Category.
5. CANCELLATION OF ADMISSION: The admission will be cancelled if a student remains absent from classes for less than 75% from the date of admission without any intimation to the concerned Head / Secretary, or any of the faculty members of the concerned Department and furnishing documentary evidence in that regard. On cancellation of admission, the claim for refund will be addressed in accordance with the directives issued by the Govt. of West Bengal and UGC. However, the claim of refund will not be entertained if the cancellation of admission happens due to shortage of attendance or any other types of punishment is awarded to the applicant.
6. SPORTS QUOTA a. Prize holders at International/National/State representation will be considered for sports quota provided that he/she participated in the Inter College Competition/ Inter College Athletic Meet organized by any university in his/her career. b. The sports events are Football, Volleyball, Athletic, Yoga, Khoko, Kabadi, Chess, Table Tennis etc. The University Sports committee will assess the performance of the applicants in the respective field. c. 1% of total seats of all PG courses is reserved for Sports. d. The seats for General candidates in the subject will be reduced by the No. of students selected for Sports/ Culture quota in that subject.
7. VACANCY IN SEATS a. Vacancy in the RGU Quota: The students of the RGU will get the opportunity first to fill the vacancy in the slot, in order of Merit as exposed in the Merit List for the Students of the Raiganj University according to the respective category of students. b. Vacancy in the Open Quota: The students falling in the slot will follow the merit list for the open seats in the respective category.
FOR THE STUDENTS OF RAIGANJ UNIVERSITY (60% SEATS)
1. Selection will be made strictly on the basis of merit of Entrance Test (ET) conducted by RGU. In the case of equal marks obtained in ET, total marks / percentage of marks of Honours is to be taken into account for ranking. In case of equal marks obtained in Honours immediately preceding Examinations are to be considered for ranking.
2. As per order of the Govt. of West Bengal 60% of total seats in each subject will be reserved for the students of RGU and 40% seats will be available for Open to all.
3. The 60% of total seats in each subject will be reserved for passed out Honours students of RGU, which will be selected from the merit list prepared on the basis of the marks obtained in Hons. or equivalent in the major subject.
FOR OPEN COMPETITION (40 % SEATS)
1. 40% Seats in each subject are reserved for Open to all (students of R.G.U & Other universities), which will be selected from the merit list of Entrance Test.
2. The minimum marks required for admission through Open Competition (40% seat) is as follows: • ARTS & COMMERCE: 45% marks in Hons. (for Gen. Candidates): 40% marks in Hons. (for SC / ST./PwD /OBC-A/OBC-B Candidates) • SCIENCE: 50% marks in Hons. (for Gen. Candidates): 45% marks in Hons. (for SC / ST/PwD/OBC-A/OBC-B Candidates)
3. Questions will be MCQ pattern; Full Marks- 100; Total no. of Questions-50, Time- Two hour
4. Questions will be set in English, except in Bengali, and Sanskrit.
INSTRUCTIONS TO THE APPLICANTS
1. Payment is required to be made only at the time of admission of particular semester.
2. Admission will be treated as cancelled if any candidate fails to appear for document verification on the stipulated date and time or fail to produce the relevant original documents required for admission confirmation.
3. Empanelment for a particular shift does not confer the right to get admission in another shift.
4.The students got admitted in Self- Financing Courses, will not be entitled to claim any concession in fees etc.
5. Forms sent by post will not be entertained.
6. Selection will be made as per university admission rules. The University offers the Sports Quota. The University Sports Board reserves the right
For additional information, if any, latest updates, please visit University website: